Do you dream of showing off a smile that could rival those of Hollywood stars? Well, thanks to dental progressions, you don’t need to dream about it anymore! Whether you’re interested in receiving professional treatment or you’d prefer to do it within the comfort of your own home, illuminating your smile has never been easier and more accessible than it is today.
To learn more about teeth whitening in downtown Calgary, reach out to our local dental clinic.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
This field of dentistry is concerned with the aesthetics of our smiles. Removing stains, reshaping teeth, and repairing teeth that have been cracked or chipped are just a few examples of issues that this avenue of treatment can address. In many cases, cosmetic dentistry blends over into restorative dentistry; when the functionality of your teeth is restored, they’ll look better too.
Teeth whitening is a process that utilizes bleach to remove deep-seated stains that have penetrated below your enamel. Typically, hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide are the most commonly used bleaching agents.
For more information about cosmetic dentistry or teeth whitening, contact a dentist near you today.
Types of Teeth Whitening
The two main types of teeth whitening that you can receive are the following:
In-office Teeth Whitening
This process entails visiting your dentist in downtown Calgary. Your appointment will kick off with a comprehensive oral evaluation alongside multiple x-rays. These steps help your dentist understand your current oral health situation and determine the extent of care you need.
Next, your mouth will be cleaned. Once the plaque and tartar have been removed, the bleach is applied. This is administered in a predetermined amount to make sure that your teeth and gums aren’t harmed. The bleach sits on your smile for about a minute or two, is wiped off, then reapplied, a process that is repeated until your entire smile is fully brightened.
Teeth whitening is not painful but if you experience any sensitivity, don’t hesitate to let your dentist know so they can act accordingly to keep you comfortable.
At-home Teeth Whitening
Another good option to consider is at-home or DIY whitening. Although it does take longer to see results, it is more affordable. It all depends on your preferences and what works best for you.
Before you go ahead with a specific method, it’s a smart idea to do your research and even speak with your regular dentist first. While there certainly are some safe techniques out there, you do need to be more careful.
The most popular strategies are outlined for your convenience below:
1. Take-home kits. More and more dental clinics are providing these to their patients. The kits come with a specific amount of bleach and plastic trays for you to use.
2. Brushing with toothpaste and baking soda. The toothpaste helps counteract the acid in the baking soda to help protect your teeth.
3. Rub lemon peels on your smile.
4. Swishing with coconut oil.
5. Brushing and flossing at least twice a day! This is the simplest, most effective way to achieve the smile you’ve always wanted. Attending dental cleanings every six months will help as well.
The Benefits of Whitening Your Teeth
Have you been thinking about enhancing your smile but aren’t sure whether you should take that last leap and actually do it? Listed below are just some of the advantages that come with whitening your teeth to help you make your decision:
• It effectively removes stains, especially those obtains from eating certain food and drink like berries, coffee, and soda, smoking, and aging.
• It helps you make a great first impression. It’s been proven that people are automatically drawn to those who have brighter smiles.
• You can customize your treatment in a way that works best for you and your lifestyle.
• Your self-confidence will increase.
• Your relationships will improve. You won’t have to worry about feeling embarrassed when you talk or go out to eat with friends and colleagues.
Interested in receiving teeth whitening near you? At Terra Dental, our staff is here to help you on your dental journey. We believe that being proud of your smile is important. We’ll guide you through the process from beginning to end, so you aren’t met with any surprises. Visit our website, call, or come in to get started today!